Friday, December 9, 2011

I wanna see Santa!

Schaeffer is definitely not like our other children.  I think Jason and I say that at least once a week.  Tonight we said it again.  We aren't in the habit of talking about Santa at Christmas time really.  He shows up on some of our decorations, although I much prefer snowmen.  He never gets credit for the presents that we buy for our children.  We've just never made a big deal out of him with any of our kids.  But someone has told our #5 child that Santa is coming.  I'm not sure what he's expecting but I've decided not to try to explain "the truth" to him just yet.  I'm big on honesty, so I will not lie.  But he's awfully cute to watch this holiday season as he explores all the wonders of the season--lights, tree, ornaments, presents, Jingle Bells sung every day, nativity scenes rearranged often, and now tonight he met Santa.

Jason and I took a group of 12 children to Holt Family Farms tonight for a live nativity hayride.  Before I could get everyone paid for and hands stamped, someone said, "Schaeffer's sitting in Santa's lap!"  Sure enough, there he was and I was about to miss a Kodak moment!  I grabbed my camera and as I'm getting it ready, I hear Santa ask him, "How old are you?"  Well, Schaeffer holds up his fingers to show him, but then he stopped, somewhat confused, as if to say, "how do you hold up 3 fingers with mittens on??" So Santa guessed 4 years old and moved on to the next question.  (Remember, Schaeffer JUST turned 3 so conversations are usually interesting.)  "What do you want for Christmas?"  Hummm, what does this mean?  I was curious as to what this child might say and since we haven't even talked about making a list of wants, I waited quietly.  After some thought, Schaeffer said, "I can't say it."  That made Santa laugh, as if his list is so long that he can't figure out where to start!  To keep from explaining "the truth" to this nice Santa, I just moved into photographer mode, all the while smiling to myself at this child God has given us.  I remembered just last Christmas when I had to beg my girls to sit in Santa's lap at a dance presentation so that I could take a picture of them.  And my big, 12-year-old son (at the time) just flat out refused to get near Santa.  He's not crazy about people dressed up.  So how does this 3 year old have the bravado to just go right up to Santa and sit in his lap?  I don't know but I sure do love him!  He brings so much sparkle to our home.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. And you didn't think I commented on stuff.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete