Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Sweet Moment

This moment does not need to be lost in the craziness of tomorrow.  This is not something that can be captured with a camera.  It's more a feeling.  Most lights are off in the den except for the colorful Christmas tree lights and the white lights around the mantle.  One lamp in the corner gives off enough light for the children to see the cards they are playing in the middle of the floor.  The faces vary as one goes off to take a shower and another child takes its place.  But the spirit is the same.  Peace, love, and overall contentment.  That is how I feel and if I were to describe the children's feelings, then I would have to add expectancy to the list.  The air of expectancy comes from the fact that if dad returns from his hospital visit in soon (called away to Jackson, TN where someone's father has only hours left to live--such a sad thing for Christmas Eve), then the children will get to exchange one present--the one that each bought for his or her sibling from the name drawing done in November.  We have just finished watching my favorite Christmas movie--White Christmas--and all five acted as if they really enjoyed it.  I feel blessed to have these five children in my life, and am probably as excited about the surprises that tomorrow morning holds as they are.  This is my ideal Christmas Eve--peaceful, calm, happy, expectant.  This feeling is rare and I am treasuring it.

1 comment: