Wednesday, September 12, 2012

8th Grade Night

It's hard to believe that we are now in the "last year" of anything with our children because they are all supposed to still be small! I am not old so how can my children be finishing something like middle school?? Are we seriously starting one in high school next year? Last night was 8th grade night before the last home football game and with it came a certain amount of nostalgia for me as Taylor's mom. This is only our 2nd year to even be doing "the school thing," but it still came with the reality that time is moving quickly. I imagined walking the field next year with Lindy, and then 2 more years with Marlena, and then in 2 more years Jay. . ."I'm not ready for an empty nest!" I thought. Okay, so I still have some time: my kids are 3, 8, 10, 12, and 13. But it was a great reminder to treasure every moment. We don't get them back and high school is right around the corner. On a more positive note, I am very proud of the young man Taylor is becoming. This is his 2nd year playing football and he is more confident and more aggressive. He takes it seriously but is also still cautious because he does NOT plan to ruin the rest of his life by a football injury. (his words, not mine) He treats people with respect and seems to be a genuine friend to others. He wants to let his light shine but struggles with not wanting to be different--don't we all? He is a leader. For now, it might just be leading the guys in his class to wear neck ties with their t-shirts for "casual Friday" or even to wear "faux hawks" (fake mohawks) one Friday to go with it! But I trust that God working in his heart will eventually help him to lead others in spiritual ways, as well. I love this boy and am so proud to be his mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment