Monday, August 12, 2013

Sipes/Pena Reunion--August 10, 2013

There is nothing more dear than a friend who will always be your friend, no matter what. You know, the friend who knows how you think and feel and "gets you," sometimes better than you understand yourself? And the clencher is. . .she still likes you after all that? Those kind of friends don't come along every year, so when you realize you have one or two, hang on to them! God gave me this kind of rare friendship in Cara Pena and although we don't see each other or even stay in touch nearly as well as we'd like, the friendship is there. It is safe. It is fun. It is deep. It is a blessing to me. And because I hope that some of our children may also have that same kind of lifelong friendship, I "saved" this past weekend to make a quick trip to Southaven. Several times during the previous week, I found myself almost apologizing for trying to go to Southaven because we were going to miss. . .such and such. But I wasn't disappointed.
Somehow, as soon as we get down there, it is just like no time has past and everyone is visiting, laughing, talking, and no one wants it to end. I am so glad Jason went along this trip because it was good for he and Tim to catch up, but Tim isn't doing very well. He has been battling Lyme Disease for 10 years now! It is debilitating and has done a number on Tim's physical body, but his spirit and faith are so strong! Cara is amazing--what a self-sacrificing woman she is to serve her husband and nine children, day and night.
Their whole family blessed me this weekend, watching them serve each other, play so well together, and especially take care of their dad. I think this illness they have grown up around has built within them a strength of character not often found in children and teenagers their ages. I love this family!

No comments:

Post a Comment