Thursday, August 8, 2013

The First Day of School!

About a week ago, I was driving around town, thinking happy thoughts about my wonderful family of seven, when the words "the sipes seven" came to mind. "Hummm," that sounds vaguely familiar, I thought. A few more seconds of pondering and then it hit me--I HAVE A BLOG! Wow, I seriously had forgotten that I even used to write on a blog at some point during our crazy, busy lives! So it comes as no surprise that a school year ended, a whole summer has passed, and now a new school year has begun and I didn't blog about any of it. Maybe I will try to catch up gradually as I get going but for now, let me re-introduce the Sipes children and show how they have grown!

Taylor started high school yesterday at Fulton County High and is playing football for his third season in a row since starting school at FC. He is taking Biology, Geometry, English/Reading, World History, Spanish I (online), Intro to Computer Applications, and possibly something else that I am forgetting. The English teacher, Mrs. Beadles, started them off with a lot of homework on the first day--he wasn't impressed (but his dad was!). I am praying he figures out how to be successful in each one of his classes. I think he can handle it!

Lindy has started her last year of middle school--an 8th grader! She is definitely a leader in her class and has made her parents very proud of her high academic standards. She took home awards in every one of her subjects at the end of last school year for "highest average," but some of those she tied with her BFF Daisy. :) She even got the elementary/middle school library named after her at the awards ceremony for reading more books (and earning more AR points) than anyone else in the whole school!! She was very embarrassed, but her mama was sure proud! She says she isn't getting it again this year because it was too embarrassing. She loves to read, though, so I am not sure anyone will be able to compete with her. Her vice-principal just told me at the start of this school year that Lindy is one of the smartest students he has ever dealt with, and he said he's had some good ones. She is gifted!

Marlena started "real" school yesterday at Fulton County Middle School in the 6th grade. She has been looking forward to this ever since she tried out and made the cheer squad back in the spring. She was a little nervous but did great! This will be the only year that she and Lindy spend in middle school together, so I was eager for her to start now. She is ready for teachers other than mom who will challenge her to give her best. She tested very well on her reading entrance test so was placed in the accelerated reading class with a few other 6th graders, but mostly 7th and 8th graders. Mrs. McWhirt is teaching it so I know she will be challenged. She took the math entrance test twice and was able to test into the advanced math class. I believe she is up to the challenges of this year, as long as her mom helps her stay focused and on track. Lindy will probably help with this, too. ha! ha! She looked so grown up yesterday, leaving for school. I miss her at home already! I enjoyed our last two years together. She became my right hand, for sure.

Jay is still being homeschooled and is starting the 4th grade. He has begun asking when he will go to public school with his friends, but I am not in a hurry to rush things. I am looking forward to quality time with him this year (and probably the next) with the oldest 3 in school all day. Jay is a wonderful student who learns quickly and easily. He is very self-motivated, so my job this year will be to keep him challenged. Jay is excited about playing soccer again this fall in Union City with his buddy Chade! And he is already practicing for his traveling baseball team that he enjoyed participating on this past spring. He is eager to improve his skills, which means lots of practice time with dad. (Since dad is the coach, this is definitely a good thing!)

Schaeffer is 4 years old and is very eager to learn. He begged to "do school" for most of last year so I had planned to get a real preschool curriculum for him this year. So far, it hasn't happened but I have lots of ideas for "doing school" with him this school year. He has surprised me with his intelligence so I am excited about watching him learn. He is learning to spell his very difficult name, which I never guessed would happen at 4 years old. :) He brings a lot of spark and energy to our home and warms his mommy's heart every time he impulsively gives a hug or a kiss.

Very, very thankful to God for these five healthy and beautiful children!

No comments:

Post a Comment